Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Campfires!

I admit, when my husband suggested a bonfire last Saturday I was less than enthused. That usually means we all smell like smoke, the kids stay up too late and I am stuck with the clean up afterward. But this time was different. I was so happy, he actually had ideas for things the kids could do (see the apple bobbing pics below) and neat ideas for cooking over the fire too! When the kids were done bobbing for apples he baked them over the fire and filled them with cinnamon & sugar. Then he roasted cornish hens on a spit. The kids had a blast and we finally had some long overdue family time together! It did get a little cold for the kids so eventually the kids & I went back in the house. This worked well, they got into their PJs and we watched a movie (Zach went to bed long before that!)

Sometimes I find myself wishing Rob would get more involved with what the kids are doing and show more interest. Then he goes and does something thoughtful with them. Maybe I am just crazily over involved or too much of a kid myself, or maybe it is just how guys are. I don't know. What I do know is I am one of the luckiest people on earth.

No comments: